Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cartoons v. Live Action

I have recently heard that major movie-making studios (possibly including Hollywood) intend to convert as many existing cartoons into live-action movies as possible. I admit that I have seen quite a few of these flicks already, but now it's getting ridiculous. It really doesn't make any sense to me when these movies have the same characters but different plot, backgrounds, and ideas. If you ever heard someone tell you to use your imagination, he or she must be taking that motto too far or not far enough; right now I can't make up my mind.

It seems to me that cartoons are more flexible when it comes to making graphic scenes. Cartoons allow for potentially more eye-catching scenes and backgrounds considering that they are mostly "handy-work". Of course, a lot of hand-drawing was replaced by computer animation a long time ago, but there are still quite a few hand-drawn plots that are still good to see. Rest assured, even if there are going to be as many live-action movies as there are cartoons, I have a strong feeling they are not going to let Japanese anime go obsolete just yet.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/cartoon_live_action_fan_trailers_thundercats_gummi_bears_doug/7820473


ALT

2 comments:

  1. Your post about cartoon characters is cool. Today, many computer animation and drawing programs assist comic book writers and animators with development. Out of curiosity what is your favorate cartoon or comic book character

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some cartoons are better left off as cartoons and not made into movies. Draggon Ball Evolution was an embarrassment to Dragon Ball Z. Anime is awesome! By the way, what is your favorite anime?

    ReplyDelete